Director: Amr K. Mortagy
Deputy Director: Ibrahim A. Hegazy
The Management Center is a significant part of the School of Business, Economics & Mass Communication at the American University in Cairo.
Through the formation of strong partnerships with government, instrumental organizations, and public and private enterprises, the Management Center aims at:
- Developing quality professional training programs in management.
- Assisting business organizations with applied research, technical assistance and on-the-job training.
The Center includes three institutions: the Institute of Management Development, the Institute of Banking and Finance, and the Institute of Quality Management.
Institute of Management Development (IMD)
Director: Ibrahim A. Hegazy
The Institute of Management Development (IMD) was founded in 1976. Since then, it has continued to offer professional training, technical assistance, on-the-job training and research services to the private and the public sectors in Egypt, the Middle East, and Africa.
Over the past twenty years, IMD has trained and consulted more than 40,000 managers and companies. Its services; professional training, technical assistance, on-the-job training and researches are offered to top, middle, and junior levels of management.
In fulfilling its mission, IMD is currently offering the following AUC Diplomas and Professional certificates:
- The American University in Cairo's Diploma in Executive Management.This is a post-graduate diploma accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities. This three-semester(s) program offers a comprehensive overview of management issues across a broad spectrum of subjects contained in three courses. The first course, Management Functions, provides an introduction and evaluation of management practices, planning and decision making, organizing and organizational design, controlling, management information systems, time management, stress management, and total quality management. The second course, Organizational Behavior, provides the foundation of organizational behavior, motivation, leadership, group behavior, team building, organizational development and reengineering. The third course, the Business Functions, deeply analyses the forms of business ownership, small business, entrepreneurship, marketing management, accounting and financial management, production and operational management and human resources management.
- The American University in Cairo's Diploma in Human Resources Management.
This is also a post-graduate diploma is accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities. The diploma focuses on issues of planning, directing and development of human resources in organizations. The forty-two week diploma consists of six modules. The first module focuses on planning and implementing the Human Resources strategies and policies, managing the structure and flow of work, job analysis, design, and description. The second module focuses on the staffing function. The process of recruitment, selection and hiring is explored in details. The third module stresses the functions of development, training, and evaluation of employees. The module also presents the different schools of employees' performance evaluation. The fourth module focuses on the function of compensation. Job evaluation, wages and salaries estimation, incentives systems, and employees' fringe benefits are discussed in depth. The fifth module handles the issue of Governance. Security, safety, and health as well as labor-management relations and labor laws are discussed among other topics in this module. The sixth module explores the development of the Human Resources' information system.
- The American University in Cairo's Diploma in Healthcare and Hospital Management.
This is a post-graduate diploma accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities. The diploma consists of six courses in the following areas: Management Functions, Human Resources Strategies, Marketing, Information Systems, Finance and Accounting and Total Quality Management (Improving Medical Performance).
- The American University in Cairo's Professional Certificate in Security and Industrial Safety and Environment Protection.
This professional certificate covers three areas, namely, Buildings Security, Industrial Safety and Environment Protection and Counterfeiting and Faking. The area of building security covers the modern techniques for buildings' protection, the modern methods of controlling the entrance and exit of buildings, planning for handling fires, emergencies and natural disasters, and the modern methods of investigating internal accidents. The area of industrial safety and environment protection includes courses that cover the effective planning for fire prevention, raising the safety standards for manufacturing buildings, and the security procedures for handling toxic petroleum. The area of counterfeiting and faking discusses in depth the modern methods for detecting counterfeiting and faking of documents and currencies.
In parallel to the American University in Cairo's diplomas and professional certificates, the Institute of Management Development aligned itself with the following international educational and professional institutions to offer their accredited and reputable professional certificates and diplomas:
- The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)'s Construction Project Supervisor Certified Program.The objective of this program is to master the construction project structure and to stay abreast to the recent developments in the engineering field. This program includes five parts. The first part covers the area of construction project administration and claims avoidance. The second part discusses the management and leadership skills for new engineers. The third part includes planning, usage, and analysis of projects' scheduling. The fourth part focuses on preparing civil engineers to work effectively. The fifth part covers the areas of financial analysis, marketing, and human relations.
- The American Federal Food Safety (AFFS)'s Certified Professional Food Manager Program.
A tailored program targeting food and beverage's (F&B) employees. The Program covers the following critical operations in food and beverage: Assessment of the F&B Operations (contamination, foodborne illness, intoxication), Menu or Product Analysis, Health & Hygiene, Time and Temperature Requirements, Pest Control, Facilities (water supply, equipment, plumbing, workspace structure, ventilation, lighting), Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP), and Accident Prevention & Crisis Management.
- Becker/Devry Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Exam Review Program.
This program infuses the latest technology into classrooms to enhance Becker's proven work-and-remember learning system in preparing candidates for the CPA exam.
- Becker/Devry Certified Management Accountant (CMA) Exam Review Program.
This program prepares candidates for the CMA exam by reviewing the following four parts. The first part includes economics, finance, and management. The second part covers financial accounting and reporting. The third part includes management reporting, analysis and behavioral issues. The fourth part focuses on decision analysis and information systems.
- The Marketing Certificate of the Chartered Institute of Marketing in England.
This British professional certificate covers the areas of business communications, understanding customers, marketing environment and marketing fundamentals.
- The Advanced Marketing Certificate of the Chartered Institute of Marketing in England.
This British professional certificate focuses on promotional practices and effective techniques, management information for marketing and sales, effective management for marketing, and marketing operations.
- The Integrated Marketing Communications Diploma of the International Advertising Association (IAA).
This internationally recognized diploma is considered among the highest professional qualification in the growing fields of marketing, communications and advertising. The diploma covers the basis of marketing, marketing research, principles of advertising, consumer behavior, advanced advertising cases, media fundamentals, integrated marketing communication and desktop publishing.
- The Heriot-Watt University MBA "Distance Learning."
The Institute of Management Development - The American University in Cairo has been approved by the 80 years-old, Edinburgh-based university as its Support Center in Egypt to offer in-class teaching of its distance learning MBA. Heriot-Watt University has been awarded the Royal British Charter in 1966, and today it is considered one of the largest universities in the United Kingdom.
Institute of Banking and Finance (AUC/IBF)
Director: Ashraf Sami
The Institute of Banking and Finance (IBF) started its activities in 1982 with a few banking and finance programs that were part of the activities of the Management Center.
The IBF was established in the academic year 1986-87. IBF's offerings increased from three courses with ninety-two trainees in 1986-87 to forty two courses with one thousand and thirty trainees in 1999-2000. IBF relies for the instruction of its programs on Faculty Members of the School of Business, Economics and Communication, as well as finance, investment and banking practicing professionals.
The following Programs/ Professional Designations are typically/usually offered by IBF.
- Chartered Financial Analyst "CFA"/Certified Finance Specialist "CFS"
- Certified Banking Credit Analyst "CBCA"
- Certified Corporate and Project Finance Specialist "CCPFS"
- Certified Project Finance Specialist "CPFS"
- Certified Investment Specialist "CIS"
- Certified Asset Management Specialist "CAMS"
- Certified Investment Banking Specialist "CIBS"
- Certified Securities Broker "CSB"
These programs are open to participants from the business, investment, finance and banking sectors in Egypt and the Middle East.
In addition, AUC-Institute of banking and finance offers specially designed programs to meet clients' needs at the time and place convenient for them. These programs may be offered in either English or Arabic.
AUC-IBF provides its clients with these important advantages:
- The program objectives and contents are focused to meet the needs of identified training groups after an in-depth needs assessment.
- The level and style of the program is made appropriate to the selected group of trainees.
- Case studies and practical exercises used during the course are drawn from the clients' own environment and relevant to the trainees' own experience.
- Among the specifically designed programs, the following ones were offered before on a tailor made basis:
- Introduction to Banking Operations
- Quality Service and Communication Skills in Companies and Banks
- Documentary Credits, Collections and Letters of Guarantee
- Foreign Exchange and Money Markets
- Marketing and Selling Corporate and Retail Banking Services
Institute of Quality Management (IQM)
Director: Samia Abdel Latif
The Institute of Quality Management focuses on the quality requirements resulting from increased economic integration on an international scale. The exchange of goods and services across international boundaries has created increased competition among both local and international industries. As a result, the role of quality and quality management needs to meet international standards also increased. To compete effectively in the world market, a company must produce goods or services which compare favorably to those available on the international market, and be environmentally friendly at the same time.
The Institute of Quality Management assists local companies to meet these challenges by offering a variety of programs designed specifically to address the needs of Egyptian executives. These programs acquaint them with the requirements of the international standards, together with the methodology of implementation.
Programs offered by IQM for the Business Sector:
1. A Diploma in Total Quality Management & International Quality Systems Implementation.
(This had been accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities). This is a six-course diploma for one academic year.
Prepare the participants to become successful quality managers in their organizations.
Provide the participants with concepts, tools, skills and techniques necessary for the application of internationally recognized quality system standards such as ISO 9000, ISO 14000, QS 9000, and the Business Excellence Model.
Prepare the participants for the Certified Quality Manager exam of the American Society for Quality (ASQ).
Planning For Top Quality
Statistical Process Control
Managing The Quality Functions
The Continuous Quality Improvement Process
The Standards For International Quality Systems
Managing the Quality of Daily Activities
2. Certified Quality Managers Program:
A program designed and delivered by IQM to quality Managers seeking certification by the American Society for Quality (ASQ). This is a 150-hour program that covers the eight parts of the Body of Knowledge specified by ASQ.
3. Short and Intensive Courses on Quality Skills:
Quality System QS 9000
Environmental Management System ISO 14000
Activity Analysis And Quality System Documentation
Quality Improvement Tools
Continuous Process Improvement
Statistical Process Control
ISO 9000 for the Year 2000
4. Contractual Programs:
The Institute provides the following services for organizations of the Egyptian Business Sector in the following areas:
- Training and on-the-job training for companies seeking certification according to the international standards of quality and environmental management systems; ISO9000, ISO 14000 and QS 9000.
- Establishing a TQM Systems
- Improvement a Product/ Process / Service
Programs offered for the healthcare sector:
1. A Diploma in Total Quality Management with applications in the Health Care Sector
The Institute of Quality Management provides its services to the healthcare sector in Egypt and organizes comprehensive programs to qualify healthcare providers to become quality specialists in their profession. Several programs were offered to the Ministry of Health, General Organization for Health Insurance and the Doctors Syndicate. The objectives of these programs are:
- To prepare participants to lead the quality activities in his organization.
- To provide participants with skills necessary to assure quality in healthcare services, particularly for:
- Planning for healthcare programs & services
- Controlling healthcare services
- Quality improvement & problem solving in healthcare
- To prepare participants to sit for the exam of the Healthcare Quality Certification Board (HQCB) of the USA and become a Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ).
2. Developing Organizational Standards for the Egyptian Healthcare Organizations:
The Institute of Quality Management is currently conducting a pilot project to assist hospitals affiliated with the Ministry of Health to establish their own national organizational standards for "Health Care Quality System". The project concentrates on six pilot hospitals, and aims at establishing a quality system that is based on the actual requirements of the healthcare sector. The project team members are doctors from the six hospitals who were trained by IQM on total quality management and quality improvement for 24 consecutive weeks.